6 City workers in mob tie charges

“The threat of traditional organized crime is not a thing of the past.”MANHATTAN DA ROBERT MORGENTHAUSix inspectors accused of being mob associates, taking bribes

Metro New York-Six former Dept. of Buildings construction and safety inspectors were arrested yesterday for allegedly taking bribes from the Mafia in return for building permits and turning a blind eye to violations.

They were among 29, including two high-ranking members of Lucchese crime family, charged yesterday with crimes ranging from corruption to firearms and narcotics trafficking.

“I am outraged … These former inspectors are accused of betraying the public and this department for their own selfish gain, and they should be prosecuted to the full extend under the law,” Buildings Commissioner Robert Limandri said in a statement.

The agency has reinspected all the buildings associated with the investigation. “So far there seems to be no safety concerns,” said agency spokesman Tony Sclafani.

The DOB said it will now conduct federal background checks on new hires

Who Were The 6 City Workers?

Frank Francomano: Bronx construction inspector, alleged Lucchese associate

Carmine Francomano Jr.:supervising inspector Scaffolding Safety Unit, alleged Lucchese associate

Thomas Masucci: Bronx construction inspector, alleged Lucchese associate

Earl Prentice: Bronx inspection manager

Angel Luis Aviles, Manhattan construction inspector Exel Plass, Scaffolding Safety inspector

NOTE : Sixth Person Has Yet to Be Named

ALERT| HIJACKED AIRLINER LANDS IN MEXICO

A Boeing 737 carrying more than one-hundred passengers was hijacked by armed men after it took off from an airport in the Mexican resort of Cancun on Wednesday morning, according to local media reports. The aircraft landed safely in Mexico City.

The plane, Aeromexico flight 576, had taken off from Cancun Airport at 11.38 a.m. local time, according to flight records. It was originally scheduled for Juarez International Airport in Mexico City, where it was due to land at 1.50 p.m. local time. A total of 104 people were initially believed to be on board.

Most passengers were released after the plane touched down in Mexico City, where it was taken to an isolated part of the airport. Passengers were seen entering buses as they left the aircraft. Heavily armed security forces have surrounded the aircraft as the hijackers and the crew remain on board, according to reporters on scene.

The hijackers, three Bolivian men, are demanding to speak with Mexican President Calderon. They are carrying a package with tape and cables, which is said to be an explosive device. The government is currently in an emergency meeting, in what is being described as a national emergency.

SEPTEMBER 9 UPDATE :

A Boeing 737 carrying more than one-hundred passengers was hijacked by armed men after it took off from an airport in the Mexican resort of Cancun on Wednesday morning, according to local media reports. The aircraft later landed in Mexico City, where the passengers were released.

The plane, Aeromexico flight 576, had taken off from Cancun Airport at 11.38 a.m. local time, according to flight records. It was originally scheduled for Juarez International Airport in Mexico City, where it was due to land at 1.50 p.m. local time. A total of 104 people, including a child, were initially believed to be on board.

Most passengers were released after the plane touched down in Mexico City, where it was taken to an isolated part of the airport. Passengers were seen entering buses as they left the aircraft, others were released later and were seen on the airport runway. Some of the passengers were being attended by paramedics.

Heavily armed security forces boarded the plane after most of the passengers were released, and detained up to seven people. The crew was also seen leaving the aircraft.

The hijackers, initially said to be Bolivian men, were demanding to speak with Mexican President Calderon. They were reportedly carrying a package with tape and cables, which was said to be an explosive device. Transport Minister Molinar said they were not carrying explosives. According to El Sol de Mexico, the men were seeking political asylum.

The government was in an emergency meeting during the hijacking, in what was being described as a national emergency.

The army and federal police remain on scene. Black Hawk helicopters are also patrolling the area, but have not approached the plane.


Georgia police arrest man in connection with mobile home park murders

Georgia police have arrested a 22-year-old man in connection with a series of murders that occurred at the New Hope Mobile Home Park in Brunswick last Saturday, officials said on Friday evening.

Guy Heinze Jr., who is a family member of the eight people who died at lot 147 of the mobile home park, was arrested on eight counts of criminal attempt to commit murder, according to a statement from the Glynn County Police Department. Heinze is also the person who first reported the murders in a 911 call.

“The arrest comes after seven days of diligent investigation by Glynn County officers, with the assistance of other law enforcement agencies and volunteers. This arrest is the result of a compilation of physical as well as testimonial evidence,” the statement read.

Heinze was earlier charged with tampering with evidence, lying to police and illegal possession of prescription drugs and marijuana, but was released just before his arrest on Friday.

The department said it will continue to gather additional evidence in the case and encourages anyone with information to contact silent witness at 912-264-1333 or Detective Bill Daras at 912-554-7825. “This is still an ongoing investigation,” it added.

A press conference is scheduled for 9 p.m. local time at the Glynn County Police Department headquarters.

Seven people found dead inside mobile home in Georgia

Seven people were found dead inside a mobile home in Brunswick, Georgia on Saturday morning, officials said. Two others were found injured.

The Glynn County Police Department responded to a 911 call shortly after 8 a.m. local time, stating that multiple deceased persons had been found inside a mobile home in the New Hope Mobile Home Park. Officers responded and found seven people deceased when they arrived on the scene. Two critically injured persons were also found.

The injured have been transported to a Savannah hospital for treatment, while a homicide investigation has been launched. The Georgia Crime Lab Medical Examiner is assisting on scene.

The victims were pronounced dead at 10.30 a.m. local time, and the process of removing the victims from the residence began around 1 p.m. Some of the victims have been tentatively identified and the family members of those have been notified.

Further information was not immediately released because officials do not want to jeopardize the investigative effort. Anyone with information about the incident is asked to call the Glynn County Police Silent witness number at (912) 264-1333.

Police chief Matt Doering offered his condolences to the family members of the victims.

Flash Flood Warning Issued In New Jersey

A flash flood warning has been issued for Essex and Union counties, and will remain in effect until 1:30 p.m. 

This alert signifies a dangerous situation where rapid flooding of small rivers, streams, creaks, or urban areas are imminent or already occurring. 

Very heavy rain that falls in a short time period can lead to flash flooding, depending on local terrain, ground cover, degree of urbanization, degree of man-made changes to river banks, and initial ground or river conditions.

DJ AM found dead in New York City

Adam Goldstein, better known as DJ AM, was found dead at his New York City apartment on Friday morning, according to law enforcement officials.

DJ AM was found dead around 7 a.m. local time, but additional details were not immediately available. His body was found at 210 Lafayette Street.

According to local media reports, DJ AM may have died from an apparent drug overdose.

Calls to his publicist were not immediately returned.

AUGUST 29 UPDATE

Celebrity disc jockey DJ AM – also known as Adam Goldstein – was found dead in SoHo Friday.

According to authorities, his shirtless body was found in his seventh floor apartment around 5:20 p.m. and was surrounded by prescription drugs. Police also found a crack pipe at his side. One of his friends – who had reportedly not heard from him in a few days and was unable to get into Goldstein’s posh SoHo home – phoned authorities when he went to check on him and did not get a response.

New York City police then broke down the door and declared DJ AM dead at the scene. It’s not clear how long he had been dead before he was found.

Goldstein, along with drummer Travis Barker, survived a small plane crash in South Carolina back in September. Four people died in that incident.

DJ AM and Barker are the only ones who survived the crash. “After the accident, he seemed to care more about life and friends, and less about the spotlight,” said Scott Schroer, a DJ known as Scotty Boy who has known DJ AM 10 years. “He was hurting.”

There was no evidence of foul play, and a medical examiner will determine the cause of death. However, sources say investigators are looking into the possibility of a drug overdose. Goldstein was 36-years-old.

Born in Philadelphia, Goldstein battled addiction, obesity and depression as a teenager. He had openly discussed past addictions to crack cocaine, Ecstasy and other drugs, addictions which once led him to attempt suicide by shooting himself in the head–but the gun jammed. Recently, he claimed he had been drug-free for years, even swearing off cigarettes. In October, MTV was to debut his reality show, “Gone Too Far,” in which he and concerned families staged interventions for drug abusers. It is unclear now whether MTV will air the show.

Goldstein’s spokeswoman, Jenni Weinman, said the circumstances surrounding his death were unclear. She pleaded for privacy for his family.

The deejay was best known for performing at some of Hollywood’s most exclusive parties. He was also known for relationships with Nicole Richie and Mandy Moore.

Usaru-san Mascot Anime Indicated in Official Blog

Image © Tomoka Tamiya/Media Factory

Image © Tomoka Tamiya/Media Factory

On Monday, the official blog for the Usaru-san mascot character posted an image of a store display that indicates that an anime adapatation is in the works. According to the image, AKB48 female idol group members Sayaka Nakaya and Amina Satō will voice characters in the anime. In the original story, an ordinary male rabbit (usagi) can transform into Usaru-san by wearing a monkey (saru)costume (mon-kī-gurumi) and eating bananas. The charater was created by Tomoka Tamiya for Media Factory.

The Moon Phase website notes that the Kids Club schedule for October on the KIDS STATIONtelevision channel lists an Usaru-san program which will premiere with two episodes on Saturday, October 3 at 1:53 p.m.